Our Communicable Disease Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Providing follow-up and case findings on all communicable reportable diseases such as hepatitis, salmonella, meningitis, and pertussis
- Acts as a liaison & coordinator with hospitals, providers, and other community agencies to provide guidance throughout a treatment program
- Providing guidance and resources throughout a treatment program and acts as a consultant for disease protocols
- Completing reports and data research a required by the State Health Department
- Providing education & information to patients, families, and community agencies regarding communicable/reportable diseases
Handwashing is the Number 1 Way to Fight Infection!
According to New York State Public Health Law, there are about 65 diseases which must be reported to the the local public health department in addition to the state health department.
Most notably, diseases such as measles, mumps, pertussis, and influenza are reported by care providers to the health department. Click here for the NYS Department of Health’s Communicable Disease Reporting Requirements page for a complete listing of these diseases. Additionally, if clusters of a disease diagnosis are identified, the Saratoga County Public Health Services Public Health Nurse will track, monitor, and provide resources during the treatment process.
There are educational materials available online through the NYSDOH and CDC websites.
Do you have questions about the Ebola Virus Disease? Basic FAQs can be found through these links:
If you have questions regarding Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) you may call the New York State Information Line at 1-800-861-2280. The Information Line is free and has trained operators available 24 hours 7 days a week. This Information Line is for public health purposes only.
If you require medical attention, please call your health care provider or 911 immediately.
For general information, use the CDC’s EVD website.
For EVD specific information, use the NYSDOH Quick Facts About Ebola website.
2,777 total views, 1 views today