Supervisor – Thomas N. Wood III – Email
The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of the County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North. It was originally a district within Albany County and subsequently in 1791 became one of the four mother towns of Saratoga County. The first European settlers arrived in the town in 1688. The Town of Saratoga is the site of the Surrender of General Burgoyne to General Gates, an event that is noted as the Turning Point of the Revolutionary War. Numerous significant historic sites such as the General Schuyler House, The Saratoga Monument, and Fort Hardy Park are located within the town. Today The National Park Service owns, maintains and operates the Schuyler House and Saratoga Monument. The Champlain Canal passed through the town from North to South and was an early impetus to the growth and development of the area. Portions of old tow path have been cleared and maintained as a pleasant walking path with numerous illustrated sign boards describing the history of the canal. A new visitors information center has been established within the Village of Schuylerville to welcome visitors to the area and provide them with information about area attractions. A new boat launch, board walk, gazebo, and picnic area have recently been completed in Schuylerville. A state boat launch within the town on Saratoga Lake provides residents with an excellent location for launching their boats and enjoying water sports and fishing. The Town is also the site of the Saratoga National Cemetery and The Saratoga County Veterans Memorial. This peaceful and serene setting with great views of the Hudson River valley provides an ideal location.
The town is the home of the Villages of Schuylerville and Victory and the hamlets of Quaker Springs, Grangerville, Deans Corners, and Coveville. The Village of Schuylerville was incorporated in 1831 and was named after the distinguished General Schuyler who was responsible for much of the development and growth of Schuylerville. The Village of Victory was incorporated in 1848 and was named in recognition of the American Victory over the British during the Revolutionary War Battles of Saratoga. The Post Office in Victory is Named Victory Mills in further recognition of the mills and the importance that they played in the economic development of the area. The hamlet of Quaker Springs is the site of a mineral spring and the Friends meeting House.
Throughout its history agriculture has been an integral part of the town. Today several large dairy, fruit, and vegetable farms operate within the town. Their presence provides a peaceful and appealing setting for numerous residential developments.
Over the years the Town of Saratoga has undergone many changes. Today a comprehensive land use plan is in place encouraging a controlled growth and development of the area. A new town highway department complex was recently completed and plans are being developed for a town park. Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.
Saratoga Town Hall
12 Spring Street
Schuylerville, NY 12871
Town Website: www.townofsaratoga.com
24,544 total views, 2 views today