Update from County Administrator Steve Bulger:
As we move forward into 2022, Saratoga County continues to lead the way among all counties in upstate New York in many important areas. Here is a sample of what has been accomplished over the past year, which is even more significant given the all-out fight against the Covid pandemic we have been focused on:
- Saratoga County continues to be the fastest growing county in Upstate New York, according to the 2020 Census.
- The County continues to enjoy both the lowest Sales Tax Rate and Property Tax Rate out of all 62 counties statewide, which taken together are a main driver of our strong growth.
- GlobalFoundries has once again chosen to invest in Saratoga County. The announcement of its multi-billion dollar expansion in Malta is further proof that Saratoga County is open for business and our policies continue to power the economic engine that attracts companies from across the globe.
- The County maintained its AA+ rating from Standard & Poors (S&P). The AA+ rating is considered a high ranking for investment-grade debt, signifying a very low credit risk and a very high level of creditworthiness. Simply put, it represents the county’s strong financial position and ability to repay any debt outstanding or likely to be incurred, and we are one of only three counties in the state to have this high ranking from S&P.
- Saratoga County Public Health has led the State in many initiatives in the fight to slow COVID-19 transmission. We were the first in the State to vaccinate 90% of our teachers, to provide in-home vaccinations to homebound countywide, to create a high-risk sports protocol, and to pilot a Test to Stay program to keep healthy children in school learning, the latter three becoming statewide templates. We have been a leader in the response to COVID-19 by offering a science-based option to reduce the length of quarantine and by partnering directly with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to pilot the Test to Stay program for K12 students.
- The County partnered with Syracuse-based Quadrant Biosciences to open a large scale COVID testing site for symptomatic members of the community.
- We created the WorkPays! initative to help people get back to work through our Career Center. WorkPays! is a public education campaign that showcases the services provided by the Saratoga County Career Center and promotes the importance to returning to the workforce.
- We created a bike route map that spans the county, connecting communities and promoting safe and healthy shared roadways.
- We were one of the very first counties in the state to expand youth hunting opportunities, achieving one of the top priorities our sportsmen community has been advocating for over a decade.
- The County approved purchases of Body Cams and Car Cams for all members of our Sheriff’s Department, to help fulfill our implementation of Executive Order 203 group recommendations.
- Distributed more than $25,000 in Veterans support grants throughout the County.
- A new Canine Pavilion was built at the Animal Shelter so they can exercise and train dogs outside year-round.
- We brought back a modified version of our popular Senior Picnic at the County Fairgrounds.
- We partnered with Mazzone Hospitality to provide senior meals through the congregate meal program and home delivery program.
Overall, Saratoga County is rated #1 for Social & Economic Indicators out of all the counties in the state in the latest Newsday rankings, which factors in education, employment, income, family and social support, and community safety.
Here at County Government, we are focused on continuing and improving these positive trends, while delivering the services that our residents expect and deserve. Please reach out to any of our Departments if we may be of assistance, and thank you for all you do to help Saratoga County attain the great quality of life we enjoy!
Steve Bulger, County Administrator
Ridge Harris, Deputy County Administrator
Christine Rush, Director of Public Relations
Matthew Rose, Management Analyst
Audra M. Hedden, Executive Secretary
Phone: (518) 884-4742
FAX: (518) 884-4723
40 McMaster Street
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CALL: 518-884-4748
The County Administrator supervises the appointed department heads, serves as the County’s budget officer, provides staff support to the Board of Supervisors, and administers County government’s execution of the policies established by the Board.
Additional Information/Files to Download
61,687 total views, 8 views today