Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN) are those from birth to age 21 who require health care or related services beyond regular well care and preventive measures to keep children healthy. CYSHCN is a New York State Department of Health initiative designed to provide information, guidance and referrals to families with a special needs child.
CYSHCN Program Goals
- Ensure all CYSHCN have access to adequate health insurance, services and community resources
- Provide assistance to families to access community resources
- Empower families and youth to navigate community systems of care through education activities with local health care providers, facilities and family organizations
- Eliminate gaps and barriers in access to health care services and local resources
- Oversee family satisfaction with the child’s care
- Assisting youth with transitioning from pediatric to adult health care systems
CYSHCN Resource Guide
In order to promote the use of Community Health Resources, the Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs program has developed a downloadable resources guide. This guide provides local and national resources, websites, phone apps, articles, and more.
CYSHCN can also provide resources specific to certain conditions by request by contacting: (518) 584-7460 or by email.
CYSHCN Resource Guide – updated 12/31/2022
CYSHCN Support Services
As part of the CYSHCN initiative, Support Services provide financial assistance to help pay for health care and services for children with severe chronic illnesses or physical disabilities. View the New York State Department of Health’s Support Services website.
Eligibility for the Support Services
Eligibility for CYSHCN-SS is income based and determined by the Medical Director. Parents/guardians will be required to provide proof of income. Medicaid recipients are not eligible for CYSHCN-SS assistance. Coverage may be 100% or parents may have a partial responsibility. Annual review is also required.
Criteria considered includes:
- Saratoga County residency
- Age: Birth to 21 years of age
- Medical Diagnosis and scope of care
- Household income
- Family size
Children that require out of state care, may be assisted through the Support Services. Prior approval is required by the NYS Department of Health, the Bureau of Child Health (Division of Family Health), and the Saratoga County Public Health Medical Director. For more information, contact (518) 584-7460 or by email.