According to the CDC, a recent study showed that only 31% of men and 65% of women washed their hands after using a public restroom. ICK!
Saratoga County Public Health wants to help you learn how to properly wash your hands to help prevent the spread of illness & keep yourself (and your little ones) healthier!
It is important to remember that hand-washing is important to keep germs away – but also to wash off harmful substances like lead from our skin. Lead, and other materials, can cause poisoning if accidentally ingested.
Healthy Hands are Happy Hands is hand-washing program designed for kids ages 4-12. Each child gets an activity booklet, crayons, and a one-on-one, hands-on demonstration of proper hand-washing techniques. Interactive videos & Glo Germ products are also used during this fun opportunity!
Saratoga County Public Health is presenting Healthy Hands are Happy Hands in County school district classrooms again for the 2018/2017 school year! If you’d like this program to be offered in your district, please contact your school’s nurse or use our call 518-584-7460 extension 8362!
During previous school years, the following schools participated in our hand-washing classes:
Edinburg Common School
Ballston Spa Central School: Milton Terrace
Ballston Spa Central School: Wood Road
South Glens Falls: Harrison Elementary
Stillwater Elementary School
St. Mary’s School, Ballston Spa
Saratoga County Public Health Services offers Healthy Hands are Happy Hands hand-washing classes through libraries, community centers, home-school groups, and other venues.
There are none scheduled at this time: be sure to check our Community Calendar for any new hand-washing classes scheduled.
Hand Washing Resources
- Henry the Hand — www.henryhand.com Tool kit that includes curriculum, science projects and more. In addition the site offers interactive handwashing songs and videos, coloring pages, and posters.
- Scrub Club — www.scrubclub.org Interactive handwashing games and songs, computer wallpaper and screensavers and coloring sheets and posters.
- Glo Germ — www.glogerm.com Free downloadable worksheets for kindergarten through 6th grades in English and French. Black UV lights, Glo Germ lotion and powder are available to buy from this company.
- Handwashing ToolKit — www.health.state.mn.us/handhygiene/curricula/index.html Build your own toolkit for teaching ages 3-6, with activity ideas, discussion questions and book list.
- Cathy Abraham’s Curriculum — www.units4teachers.com/PDF/handwashing.pdf Ideas to encourage handwashing, including bulletin board tips, songs, jokes, finger plays and others. Great for teachers!
Have you been to the Saratoga County Fair? If you were, you might have seen our new handwashing cards! Take a look and feel free to click for the downloadable .pdf version!