COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The New York State Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) will provide significant economic relief to help low and moderate-income households at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability by providing rental arrears, temporary rental assistance and utility arrears assistance.
The program opened June 1, 2021. Applications are now being accepted.
To apply, go to the NYS website – http://otda.ny.gov/erap for information and direct access to the application portal
Who is eligible?
- Tenant in Saratoga County with Household Income at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI), adjusted for household size. See 80% AMI table below for Saratoga County;
- Tenant is obligated to pay rent in their primary residence;
- Tenant Household includes an individual who, directly or indirectly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has
- Qualified for unemployment benefits, or
- Experienced a reduction in household income, or
- Incurred significant costs, or
- Experienced other financial hardship;
- Tenant demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
Landlords may apply on behalf of eligible tenants.
80% AMI for Saratoga County
|Persons in Family
NYS has established priority in processing applications and allocating funds under this program for the first 30 days, focused on households with specific criteria at or below 50 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI), adjusted for household size. See 50% AMI table below for Saratoga County.
50% AMI for Saratoga County
|Persons in Family
What rental assistance will a household receive?
Depending on eligibility a household may receive:
- Up to 12 months of rental arrears payments for rents accrued on or after March 13, 2020.
- Up to 3 months of additional rental assistance if the household spends 30 percent or more of their gross monthly income to pay for rent.
- Up to 12 months of utility arrears that have accrued on or after March 13, 2020.
How will the household obtain this financial assistance?
- Rental arrears will be paid directly to the landlord.
- Utility and energy arrears will be paid directly to the utility company.
How can I apply?
- Applications will be accepted through the NYS OTDA online application portal starting June 1, 2021, at 9am
- NYS website – http://otda.ny.gov/erap for information and direct access to the application portal to apply
- NYS call center – 1-844-NY1RENT (1-844-691-7368) is open 7 days a week from 8am-7pm for questions and application assistance.
- If you require assistance with the application process, Saratoga County Department of Social Services has partnered with Shelters of Saratoga for application assistance.