Due to the COVID-19 Global Health Pandemic, DMV offices are currently closed to the public. Some transactions can be processed by mail or drop box.
Register a Vehicle by Mail
To apply for a New York State registration and a title certificate by mail, you will need to mail the following items to the Saratoga County DMV in Ballston Spa or Clifton Park.
We recommend sending any original documents by insured mail. It can be difficult to replace documents that are lost in the mail.
- A completed MV-82 Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF). It is crucial that you include a phone number where we can readily reach you.
- Proof of ownership. Your title certificate (must be original; we don’t accept photocopies)
- Please Note: If you already have the vehicle in question titled in only your name (i.e. a seasonal vehicle you temporarily took off the road and want to re-register, or you had previously applied for and received a title only and no registration), we do not need proof of ownership.
- Exception: If multiple people are listed on the title and you are not the first party named on the title, you must submit a copy of the title.
- Proof of NY State automobile liability insurance. Send a photocopy of your current barcoded insurance card dated within 180 days.
- Proof of identity and age. A photocopy of your NY State Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card that is current or not expired for more than two years can serve as proof of both identity and age. If you don’t have one of these, see form ID-82 for other acceptable proofs you can use. (don’t send original documents)
- Proof of Sale. A completed Sales Tax Form, DTF-802 or appropriate sales tax form, which can be found on the NYS DMV website. Please note that both parties must complete the DTF-802 form.
- Payment. Include a blank check, signed and made payable to Saratoga County Clerk. We will calculate your payment based on the transaction fees required and call you with the final payment amount prior to processing the transaction.
- Return Postage. Self-addressed, USPS postage paid envelope for your registration documents to be mailed back to you. Make sure the envelope can accommodate plates, if new plates are needed, and the postage will cover the cost of mailing the contents of the package.
Mail to one of these Saratoga County DMV locations:
Clifton Park DMV Ballston Spa DMV
22 Clifton Country Road, Suite 13 40 McMaster Street
Clifton Park, NY 12065 Ballston Spa, NY 12020
If you are transferring plates, you must check the “Transfer Plates” checkbox at the top of MV-82 and provide the plate number. If you do not, we will issue and charge you for new license plates. Do not move your plates to the new vehicle and operate it until you receive your new registration sticker and document in the mail.
If you have Plates Stored at a Saratoga County DMV Office:
Please include your receipt or a note indicating your plates are stored at the office and be sure to send your registration information to the DMV location where your plates are stored.
What you will Receive:
Once we process your application, we will send you these items in one package:
- your registration documents
- your vehicle plates, if applicable
- a 10-day Inspection Extension Sticker (VS-1077), if applicable
Do not operate your new vehicle until you receive your new registration documents (and plates and inspection sticker, if applicable) in the mail.
When you will get your documents:
- Allow up to 10 business days for your registration documents to arrive by mail. This is an estimate only.
- Allow 90 days for your title certificate to arrive from the State.
Get registration documents by express mail:
To get your registration documents by express mail, enclose a pre-paid, pre-addressed express mail package with your application. Make sure the package can contain vehicle plates.
Vehicle Plates Dimensions and Weight:
A set of New York State vehicle plates weighs approximately 7 ounces and each plate measures 6 inches high by 12 inches wide. Please remember to add the weight of your envelope and all contents to your postage. Shipping rates may vary. Please visit the U.S. Postal Service website or your local post office for more information and rates.
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles will send you your title certificate separately. Allow up to 90 days to receive it from NYS DMV.
If you are looking to register a boat, trailer, all terrain vehicle (ATV), or snowmobile please see information below.
All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Registration:
Any ATV driven anywhere in New York State, even solely on private property, must be registered (except use for agricultural purposes or not-for-hire snowplowing). They may be operated on public lands posted for ATV use and private property ONLY with the landowner’s permission. Please complete form MV-82 and form DTF-802.
All boats that are powered by a motor and are operated on public waterways must be registered. This also includes boats in which the motor is not the primary means of propulsion. Please complete form MV-82-B (instead of MV-82) and form DTF-802.
In general, the procedures to register and title a light-duty trailer 1 are the same as to register and title a vehicle. However, there are some differences:
- insurance is not required for non-commercial trailers
- there are special requirements to register a custom or homemade trailer (see NYS DMV website for more information)
- there are machines and other devices that are similar to trailers or that look like trailers that don’t need to be registered (see Trailer-type Vehicles Not Requiring Registration on NYS DMV website (MV-274)
Each snowmobile must be registered UNLESS it is exclusively used on the owner’s private property or on such property that the snowmobile’s owner has a contractual right to use. Please complete form MV-82SN (instead of MV-82) and form DTF-802.
Drop Box Services
The following transactions can be done utilizing drop boxes at our Ballston Spa and Clifton Park locations:
- Registration Renewals
- New Registrations (drop off application and documents)
- Plate Surrenders
You can renew your registration using a drop box at the Ballston Spa or Clifton Park DMV locations. Registration should be renewed on or before the expiration date. Renewing early will not change the new expiration date on your new registration. Please note that a registration cannot be renewed if it is suspended or revoked, has been expired for more than 1 year, or if vehicle has not been inspected within the past 12 months. Bring your registration renewal notice (if you do not have this form, you may fill out form MV-82D) and payment to any of our Saratoga County DMV locations to be processed.
Visit your local DMV Office today to register your vehicle!
15,381 total views, 72 views today