John E. Lawler, Supervisor
Darlene Dziarcak, Town Clerk
Brad Utter, Historian
Town of Waterford – The flood of 1936 as pictured from Broad Street to the Fourth Street, 1936. Located at the convergence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, the village often flooded. There were four major floods in Waterford from 1900-1949.
Town of Waterford – The Town Hall Building, erected in 1873, was destroyed by fire on January 6th, 1914. It was reconstructed and still stands today on the original site. Note the trolley tracks down the middle of Broad Street. The trolley ran through the Town until 1933.
Town of Waterford – Saratoga Avenue in the early 1900’s. Waterford’s famous “Mill Owners Row,” millowners built their mansions uphill from their factories, many of which still stand today. Their workers traveled by the trolley train along the avenue to go back and forth to work.
Town of Waterford – The Waterford School #1, located on Fourth Street in Waterford stood from 1890 until 1965. The last class to graduate from school #1 was the class of 1962. In January 1963, the new school on Middletown Road opened to students. School #1 stood until 1965.
Town of Waterford – Taken in 1937, outside the one room schoolhouse on Schoolhouse Lane. Grades one through six were combined with one teacher. Bob Vermilyea, top row, first on left, brother “HOOP” Vermilyea, next to Ann (Clement) Devoe, second row, third from right.
Town of Waterford – The Thomas L. Mossey Saloon on 26 Clifton St., one of many saloons in Northside. Thomas Mossey, second from left, with his three sons standing in the doorway, from right, William, John and Arthur. The women are Clara Mossey and Flavie Emory Mossey (seated).
Town of Waterford – The “Mighty” Mohawk River, home of the Cohoes-Waterford Falls and the Northside cliffs. Many Mills, including the Massasoit Mills until the 1920’s and then the National Automotive Fibers Mill until the 1950’s, used waterpower from the Mohawk River for their operations.
Town of Waterford – The Waterford covered bridge (bottom) was built in 1804 and was the first bridge to span the Hudson River north of New York Harbor, linking Waterford to Troy in the Lansingburgh section. The covered bridge was destroyed by fire in 1909 and replaced by the steel bridge (top) which still stands today.
Town of Waterford – The trolley ran through the Town and Village of Waterford through September 26, 1933. Millworkers took the trolley back and forth to work on a daily basis.
Town of Waterford – The Methodist Church stood on Third Street in the village untilit was replaced by the Church on Middletown Road in 1967.
Town of Waterford – The Erie Canal opened on May 15, 1915. The “Waterford Flight” is a set of five lift locks raising boats from the Hudson River to the Mohawk River. It is the highest set of lift locks in the world with an elevation of 169 feet!
Town of Waterford – The F. B. Peck Hose Co. riding on their 1935 Chevy Firetruck. Formed as the Northside Hose Co. on October 6, 1886; the Northside Fire Dept. is one of five volunteer fire companies in Waterford. (The driver of the truck is William Hayes).

12,289 total views, 1 views today