John P. Romano, Mayor
Jean Puckhaber, Historian
Chris Morley, Historical Consultant
Village of Ballston Spa – The Ballston Coal Company was located at the D&H Railroad crossing on the north end of Milton Avenue in the 1920s. On the right is Goldy’s Restaurant and Soda Fountain and one of the village barbershops. Mr. Post’s horse drawn bakery wagon is seen at the right.
Village of Ballston Spa – The Ballston Knitting Company (1920’s) was located on the corner of Milton Avenue and South Street. This company operated into the 1950’s making knit wool gloves. Women workers made gloves and also did fine needlework and embroidery on them.
Village of Ballston Spa – This 1920s view of South Street shows the Union Hotel, Finley’s Grocery, Rivet’s Meat Market and R. Bailey’s Grocery store on the right. Left is of one of three village A&P markets. The railcars at the end of the street carried coal to the Ballston Coal Company.
Village of Ballston Spa – This photo depicts the 1933 Annual Firemen and American Legion Field Day Parade on Milton Ave. On horseback is the Grand Parade Marshall E. Morley with his son Chris Morley. Fire Chief Connors rode in the first car. He was also the Police Chief at one time.
Village of Ballston Spa – This photo shows the last trolley run on December 6, 1941. Village of Ballston Spa Police Chief A. DeCora is standing alongside the trolley’s motorman and conductor. The trolley line ran from Schenectady through the village to the City of Saratoga Springs.
Village of Ballston Spa – J.S. Wooley’s Photographic Studio (1900). The Eagle Hotel at the street end burned in 1933. In the foreground is the 1888 Soldiers’ Memorial. Interesting details: gas streetlights and the public/horse water.

4,165 total views, 1 views today