Motorcycle Permit (Class M or MJ)
To take the Online Permit Test:
- To begin your permit application online, please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website and follow the directions to apply online.
- After you’ve passed the test and uploaded your proofs, you may make an appointment with Saratoga County DMV to complete your permit application in one of our offices.
To take the Permit Test in an Office:
- Visit our “MV-44
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Age
- Current Driver License (Class D or DJ) or a Learner Permit (Class D or DJ), if you have one
- Payment for $10.00 application fee and motorcycle license fee
When driving with your motorcycle permit you must be under the general supervision of a driver who is 21 years or age or older and has a valid motorcycle license from NYS or another state. The driver must remain within 1/4 mile of you at all times.
Motorcycle Permit Renewal:
Renew Here at one of our three convenient Saratoga County DMV locations in Ballston Spa, Clifton Park or Wilton and keep your hard-earned money here working for you!
- If you do not have another class, your Class M or MJ permit is valid for a maximum of five years. You cannot renew the permit. If your permit expires, you must apply for a new permit and take the written test again.
- If you do have another class of NYS driver license, your Class M or MJ permit is valid for one year and you can renew the permit for one additional year. To get a new permit after a renewal, you must apply for a new permit and take the motorcycle written test again.