Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE)
EDUCATION & HEALTH SERVICES FOR PRESCHOOL CHILDREN WITH IDENTIFIED DISABILITIES
The CPSE Process
Procedure for Obtaining CPSE Contract
Special Education Services
The Saratoga County Department of Health continues the responsibilities for the organization, coordination, and payment of Special Education and transportation services for preschool children with identified disabilities throughout Saratoga County.
The Saratoga County Department of Health works with fourteen CPSE (Committee on Preschool Special Education) chairpersons, in school districts with children living in Saratoga County. Section 4410 of the New York State Education Law covers qualified children if they become three years of age on or before December 1st of the calendar year.
Approximately 1300 children are enrolled in this program yearly. Children participate in center-based programs at approved preschools, as well as itinerant services including speech, occupational, and physical therapies. The Saratoga County Department of Health works in conjunction with schools districts who are responsible for coordinating these services with providers, parents, and the State Education Department.
Saratoga County initially pays for 100% of the services, and then the State Education Department reimburses 59.5% of the costs to the county, leaving the county’s share as 40.5% of the expenses. Saratoga County Department of Health processes all providers’ vouchers for services and prepares claims for reimbursement from State Education. Saratoga County is also charged 10% of the cost of special education services to school age children needing services during the summer.
For preschool children who are Medicaid recipients, the county is able to bill for evaluations, speech, occupational and physical therapies, and nursing services. Saratoga County utilizes the McGuiness Software Program, which has allowed us to streamline our billing process and reduces our volume of paperwork.