Supervisor – Kevin Tollisen
In the early 1600’s the site of a cluster of islands located where the Hudson and Mohawk River meet along with the surrounding area became known as Half-Moon Point. The area had been an Indian trading site for some years controlled by the Mohawks who bartered among themselves and with other tribes. Passage across the river at Half-Moon was facilitated by the low waters which ran from the Point to Haver (Peebles) Island.
Initial settlement of Half-Moon Point centered in present-day Waterford where Dutch traders trappers and homesteaders who had traveled up the river from Albany made their homes. As settlement in Waterford took hold the more pioneering Albany Dutch went north from Waterford and entered the wilderness that is now part of the Town of Halfmoon. The pattern Albany Dutch settlement extended up the Hudson River as more families came to the area. A group of Schenectady Dutch mostly farmers traveling from the southeast settled in Clifton Park then later moved into the Town of Halfmoon.
Records show that land in Halfmoon was purchased and developed in 1667. The majority of lands compromising Halfmoon were once a part of the Van Schaick Pattent of 1674.
Halfmoon Town Hall
2 Halfmoon Town Plaza
Halfmoon, NY 12065
Town Website: www.TownofHalfmoon.org
17,700 total views, 3 views today