This view of Broad Street, Schuylerville’s main thoroughfare, appears to have been taken facing south where NYS Route 29 turns east to cross the Champlain Canal and Hudson River.
These postcards are marked published by J. S. Wooley, Ballston Spa, NY. County Historian’s records show no further documentation of this “wreck” in July of 1906.
Another view of the “wreck”.
Another view of the “wreck”.
The Hides-Franklin Springs, also known as Franklin Artesian Spring, was drilled in 1868. Its location is said to have been revealed to Samuel Hide in 1867 during a spiritual communication with Benjamin Franklin. It was situated on Malta Avenue between Hyde Blvd. and Columbia Avenue.
Residence of Cornelius E. Durkee at 505 Broadway (corner of Walton St.) in Saratoga Springs. In a 1915 directory, Mr. Durkee is said to be retired in 1914 and was listed as a baggage agent for the D&H Railroad. He was an amateur historian, writing “Durkee Reminiscences,” a column in “The Saratogian.” He also collected cemetery records, which are widely used by reaearchers today.
“Old Central School,” Greene Street, Schuylerville. This photo was taken ca. 1925. The building was razed in 1972.
Knights of Columbus, Saratoga Springs at Jesuit Retreat House, Glenmont, Schenectady County, NY. November 11-14, 1955. From Biggie Family photo collection.
Located in Ballston Spa, The Medbery Hotel was originally called “The Village Hotel” when it was established in 1804. Stephen Medbery purchased it in 1847 and called it “The Medbery.” Today (2001) it is owned by Peter Tholl, who has been doing renovations.
The Union Fire Company No. 2 was organized February 7, 1877. At that time, it was equipped with a Button hand engine of great power, a hose cart and hooks and ladders, according to Edward F. Grose in his “Centennial History of the Village of Ballston Spa” published in 1907.
In 1928, the US Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Biological Survey, Fur-animal Experiment Station was operating this “farm” in Greenfield, Saratoga County. This W.P.A. photo was taken in July of 1941.
Nurses at the Saratoga Hospital circa 1905 (possibly a graduating class of nurses trained there). Note: All these women are listed in the 1905 City Directory of Saratoga Springs as nurses. Several are specifically listed as nurses at Saratoga Hospital. A History of the Saratoga Hospital, 1891-1911 by Field Home mentions that a Training School for Nurses was organized about Feb., 1902, with a three-year course on instruction. Pictured: Mable Clark, Nellie T. Crandall, Harriet Gallup, Mary J. Goodall, Frances Lehman, Elizabeth MacArthur, Harriet Stahley, Mary E. Tanner, Katherine Thomas, & Bertha Tripp.
Crossing the Mohawk River at Crescent in Halfmoon, this steel bridge only existed for a short time circa 1900. It was washed out during an ice jam.
This undated photo from Waterford features “the last Grand Army of the Republic veterans – Waterford.” The Historian’s Office has been unable to further document this photo.
Nineteen students were in this first grade class in 1914. The photo is from the Jane Lang collection at the Saratoga County Historian’s Office, but there is not other identification other than the location of South Street, former North End School in Ballston Spa. Photo in Grose’s “Centennial History of Ballston Spa”, pg. 95.
Charles C. VanRensselaer operated this general store and Post Office in Wilton for 48 years. His son, Leslie, joined the business in 1906 and continued operations well after his father’s death in 1936. The post office remained open into the 1970’s. The building was razed about 1980.
“Old Central School,” Greene Street., Schuylerville. This photo was taken about 1925. The building was razed in 1972. Mary Sherman of Schuylerville presented these Schuylerville School photos to the County Historian’s Office.
These row houses in the Village of Victory, Town of Saratoga, were probably built for the workers of the Victory Manufacturing Company. Sylvester’s “History of Saratoga County” states that the village, incorporated in 1849, “derives its name wholly from the fancy of the company, who inserted it in the title of their organization alluding to the victory of General Gates, won in their immediate vicinity”.
This WPA photo was taken in July of 1941 for the “Historic Album of New York State.” It is in a canal lock on the Old Champlain Canal in the Town of Saratoga.
This WPA photo from the 1940’s is of the Ballston Spa Daily Journal Offices and Printing facility located at 38 Bath Street in Ballston Spa. It was owned by the Grose Family. The building collapsed in the 1980’s.
On the reverse side of this photo from 1936 is written, “Betty MacWilliams – far right” and “Watson” and “Armstrong.” In 1938, the Ballston Spa directory lists an Elizabeth A. MacWilliams, student, residing at 6 Beach Street, with Mr. & Mrs. (Ella) Robert MacWilliams and Robert MacWilliams, Jr.