Town of Day – Located along Bell Brook Road before the valley was flooded, the Johnson’s business was a commercial center typical of small town Adirondack Life in the Town of Day. This 1900 picture includes local blacksmith, John Henry Johnson, and Wagon Wheel Master, B. Franklin Johnson.
Town of Day – In the 1920’s you could pick up dinner or mail a letter at this historic “shopping mall.” At this popular gathering spot are Fred Abeling, standing; Enos Johnson, right; Hubert Frasier, left. Prior to flooding, this building was moved to the present Bill’s Country Store location at Paul River Creek.
Town of Day – This schoolhouse served grades 1-6 in the Town of Day. This 1930’s photo shows children of the Town of Day, some of whom attended the schoolhouse in West Day and were transported to the Conklingville School as the flooding waters were rising.
Town of Day – The Iron Bridge shown here lined both shores of the Sacandaga River. Building of the massive Conklingville Dam changed the Town of Day by dividing it into North Shore and South Shore. It would no longer be possible to travel from one side of town to the other without leaving town, except by boat.
Town of Day – Shown here is the last vehicle to make this trip between the two shores before the bridge was sank. That change altered our local geography and the course of Day’s development. In view of this bridge is now a popular diving destination located near the Hadley-Day Town line.
Town of Day – The Conkingville Dam was completed and flooding of the valley began March 27, 1930 creating the Great Sacandaga Lake, a magnificent recreational resource, which provides flood control for communities downstream along the Hudson River.