Town of Greenfield – McAuley & Henry’s Store – located in Middle Grove served as a terminal for the electric trolleys of the Ballston Terminal Railroad, which carried milk, lumber, paper and passengers on the twelve-mile route from Ballston Spa to Middle Grove until 1929.
Town of Greenfield – In the year 1907, the hamlet of Middle Grove was hit by a terrible fire at which time over twenty buildings were destroyed. Shortly after the fire, this new hotel was built to replace the one that had been burned to the ground on that same site.
Town of Greenfield – The original Empire Mill burned and was replaced by this second and larger mill. Mine cars operated 200-300 ft. inside the mine. The graphite was transported by horses and wagons, later automobile trucks, about 3 miles to the Delaware and Hudson station at Kings.
Town of Greenfield – A team of horses waits in front of Porter Corners General Store before starting up the mountain with a drier to be used in the Graphite Mine, discovered in 1903 by William Carver. The Empire Graphite Mine and the Flake Graphite Co. operated the mine until after WWI.
Town of Greenfield – The Greenfield General Store served as the cornerstone of the community for over 100 years, selling products brought to town by the railroad, local farmers produce, etc. By the time this photograph was taken in 1930, gas pumps had been added to accommodate automobile travel.
Town of Greenfield – Miss Babcock and her students in grades 1-8 stand outside the Dist. No. 10 School Building in 1902. By the year 1912, the Town of Greenfield had 19 school districts with a total enrollment of 354 pupils. Twelve districts joined the Saratoga Springs Enlarged City School Dist.