Town of Hadley – Hill Top was built in the 1880’s by Myers VanZandt and his wife, Catherine Rockwell. It has been a sanitarium, the paper mill’s superintendent’s home, a funeral home, apartments and is now the well-known Saratoga Rose Inn and Restaurant.
Town of Hadley – Luzerne Villa in Hadley was built in Hadley, south of Luzerne Center on Rt. 9K (now 9N). There were day, week & monthly accommodations and building lots were available. The property has been the Country Club Ranch, Masonic Temple & Caddy shack Restaurant. The golf course is now the well-known Bend of the River Golf Course.
Town of Hadley – The first Hadley Mt. Fire Tower was erected of wood, but after 1920, was replaced by a steel structure. The present 1951 built cabin replaced an earlier cabin. The tower has been restored and a summer guide greets hikers to the 2653 foot summit.
Town of Hadley – Adirondack Railroad, later the Delaware & Hudson, brought vacationers to the Hadley Station from 1865 until it closed on Aug. 5, 1958. Spurs served the paper mill and a woodenware factory. Plans have been made for trains to again operate and for the Hadley Station to be rebuilt.
Town of Hadley – The Madison Family Sugar Bush on Hadley Hill has been in existence since before the Civil War when Henry Madison began to produce maple syrup from the sap of the hard sugar maple trees. George D. Madison carried on the operation and it has continued under his son, George Madison.
Town of Hadley – In the 1930’s, this store was known as Rollman’s Grocery Store under the proprietorship of Clyde and Ethel Rollman. The busy store carried everything from groceries to hardware. Most recently, it was the Hadley General Store.
Town of Hadley – The District #3 Parker School was located on Parker Rd. near what is now the intersection of South Shore Rd., Parker Rd., and Hunt Rd. The school housed grades 1-6. The school building has been moved to Kathan Rd. on the Great Sacandaga Lake and is a summer residence.
Town of Hadley – Railroad Trestle and Bow Bridge-The Adirondack Railway reached Hadley in 1865. It merged with the Delaware & Hudson Railroad on Nov. 15, 1902. The last freight train crossed the 518ft. Sacandaga River Trestle in 1989. The Bow Bridge, in the foreground, was built in 1885 and is to be restored.
Town of Hadley – Truman Wendell ran a Blacksmith Shop near the Four Corners from about 1910 to 1920. The building has been occupied by a garage and a machine shop. It is now the location of the J. R. Automotive Service.