Town of Providence – Packer Store-Built in 1893 by Nathan Packer. People traveled from far to visit or shop at the store that “sold everything” except beer. The store continued through 1978 and was run by Jermey and Carrie Packer, Blaine Packer and his wife, Mary.
Town of Providence – Homestead Sanitarium-Open on December 5, 1914 to treat patients with tuberculosis. People came from all over to be treated. The last patients left in August of 1960 and it became the Saratoga County Infirmary in January of 1961.
Town of Providence – Providence Honor Roll-Bulletin boards were erected to honor the service men that served in WWII. Dexter Coonradt is shown here at the board, which was located in Barkersville near the bridge. Many of those families still live in Providence today.
Town of Providence – Barker House-David Barker built one of the first places in Providence in 1796. Originally built as an Inn, it had 26 rooms and 8 fireplaces. When the house was torn down in the early 1900’s, the wood was used to build a barn, which is still standing on Southline Road.
Town of Providence – Barkersville Church-The Christian Church at Barkersville was organized May 3, 1845 on land that was donated by the Barker’s and the Carpenter’s. Pictured here in 1950, the church was popular for marriages.
Town of Providence – Barkersville School#2-When this school closed, teaching ceased in Providence. This picture was taken approximately 1910.