Below are frequently asked questions and answers for transactions conducted at Saratoga County DMV. If you do not see your question below, please search the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles database of frequently asked questions.

Appointment Questions

No appointment is necessary. Our Ballston Spa and Wilton locations offer walk-in service only. Our Clifton Park DMV location offers walk-in service and appointments with priority service given to those with appointments.

Saratoga County DMV processes license renewals, license upgrades (REAL ID/EDL), out of state license transfers, license amendments, non-driver IDs, class D and CDL permit tests, new registrations, registration amendments, registration renewals, plate transfers, plate surrenders, duplicate licenses, registrations or titles as well as transactions regarding license enforcement issues and suspensions. E-Z Pass purchases are also available.
Yes. All paperwork must be completed before you visit a DMV office. You can download forms on the Forms page.

Forms are available at each office for pick up during business hours; they are located at the entrance/vestibule.

You can cancel your appointment at any time using the link provided in your confirmation email or reminder email.

If you don’t see a confirmation email from Saratoga County DMV, please check your spam or junk folder or check your email provider settings.

We are aware that some customers are not receiving confirmation emails and we are working to address the issue.  If you see the “thank you for booking” page after scheduling your appointment, this is a confirmation that your appointment is in the system. We recommend that you write down your appointment information and take a screen shot of the “thank you for booking” confirmation screen until this issue is resolved.

You may cancel your appointment using the cancellation link in your confirmation or reminder emails and make a new appointment using our appointment calendars. However, we cannot change the appointment time outside of the set times available for each transaction type. Appointment times vary based on the type of service provided and are determined according to typical processing times for each transaction so we may provide services as efficiently as possible to all of our customers.

We accept credit/debit cards, cash, checks and money orders. Sorry, but we are not able to split payments.

License & Non-Driver ID Questions

A driver license renewal can be processed immediately by visiting one of our three Saratoga County DMV offices in Ballston Spa, Clifton Park, or Wilton. Click here for directions.

Before leaving your local DMV office they will issue you a temporary license to use until your new one is received in the mail. Your new license will arrive in approximately 2-3 weeks.

A license upgrade is when you change your Standard license to a REAL ID or Enhanced Driver License. Please visit our Licenses, Permits and ID Cards page for information about what forms of identification you need to upgrade.
Yes, you can upgrade a Standard Non-Driver ID card to a REAL ID compliant document. Please visit our Licenses, Permits and ID Cards page for information about what forms of identification you need to upgrade.
May 7, 2025. For more information about REAL ID and federally accepted forms of REAL ID, please see our brochure, “Is REAL ID For Me?“, located on our Forms page.

Enhanced features:

  • Costs an additional $30. This is in addition to regular transaction fees.
  • Federal REAL ID compliant
  • Shows your full legal name
  • Shows your residential address
  • Has an American Flag displayed on the document
  • Can be used to board a domestic flight
  • Can be used to enter a federal building or military base
  • Can be used for photo identification purposes
  • Can be used to cross a U.S. border by land or water to/from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries

REAL ID features:

  • No additional cost. Regular transaction fees do apply.
  • Federal REAL ID compliant
  • Shows your full legal name
  • Shows your residential address
  • Has a star displayed on the document
  • Can be used to board a domestic flight
  • Can be used to enter a federal building or military base
  • Can be used for photo identification purposes

Standard features:

  • Can be used to board a domestic flight only until May 7, 2025
  • Is not Federal REAL ID compliant
  • No additional cost. Regular transaction fees apply.
  • Shows your mailing address
  • Has “not for federal purposes” displayed on the document

Please visit our Licenses, Permits and ID Cards page for information about how to get one of these documents.

An out-of-state driver’s license or Canadian driver’s license may be exchanged for a NYS driver’s license if said license includes your photograph, is not suspended or revoked, and the driver’s license has:

  • Been valid for a minimum of 6 months, OR
  • Has not expired in the past 12 months, OR
  • Is a valid CDL and has been valid for any length of time

You will need to visit a DMV office to transfer your out of state license to a NYS license. During your visit you will need to:

You can find the NYS Driver’s Manual and Form under Additional Forms/Information. You must be at least 16 years of age and show proof of identity (at least 6 points, must include date of birth- please see Proof of Identity- Permit, Driver License and Non-Driver ID) and your social security card (if applicable). You may receive your permit after passing the written and vision tests and paying the application & driver’s license fees.
No. Learner Permit, CDL and Endorsement exams may be taken Monday through Friday until 3:30PM at all Saratoga County DMV locations. Appointments are available at our Clifton Park DMV location and priority service will be given to those with appointments.
In NYS, a military license is automatically extended if you are on active military duty and will not expire during your active service. In addition, your license is extended for a period of up to six months after your military service discharge. Please complete form MV-75 in order to inform the DMV to update your driver record.
Please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website for information regarding license suspensions and revocations.

Visit the NYS DMV website for information about how to request restoration after a revocation.

Visit the NYS DMV website for information about how to pay a suspension termination fee.

Registration, Title & License Plate Questions

Visit one of our three convenient locations in Ballston Spa, Clifton Park or Wilton and bring the following with you:

  • Proof of Ownership
  • Proof of Identity and Date of Birth
  • Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statements (if previously owned)
  • NYS Insurance Identification Card
  • Form MV-82
  • Proof of Sales Tax Payment, Sales Tax Exemption or Purchase Price
Boat: All boats that are powered by a motor and are operated on public waterways must be registered. This also includes boats in which the motor is not the primary means of propulsion. Please complete form MV-82-B and form DTF-802.

Snowmobile: Each snowmobile must be registered UNLESS it is exclusively used on the owner’s private property or on such property that the snowmobile’s owner has a contractual right to use. Please complete form MV-82SN and form DTF-802.

ATV: Any ATV driven anywhere in New York State, even solely on private property, must be registered (except use for agricultural purposes or not-for-hire snowplowing). They may be operated on public lands posted for ATV use and private property ONLY with the landowner’s permission. Please complete form MV-82 and form DTF-802.

Yes, you can register a vehicle for someone else. You must show your ID and bring a photocopy or original ID/license of the registrant. The registrant must sign all forms.  Please see the NYS DMV website for more information.
Each disabled person may have one set of vehicle plates. To receive vehicle plates, said vehicle must be registered in the name of disabled person.

  • Provide proof of your disability; form MV-664.1 or statement from healthcare provider (must describe disabling condition and verify that the disability qualifies according to law).
  • Bring your current vehicle plates to surrender
  • Show proof of identity
  • Complete application form and pay fee of $18
Transferring the registration for a gifted vehicle is considered a new registration transaction. You will need to follow the instructions for registering a vehicle for the first time. Additionally, the gift giver must fill out section 6 of the DTF-802 (with certain exceptions listed on the form) and the Title document must be completed by the gift giver.

Yes. If you are without insurance coverage and do not immediately surrender your plates to DMV, your license and registration will be suspended indefinitely.

You can turn in your plates to a Saratoga County DMV Office. You will need to bring your plates to the office (please ensure no fasteners or frames are attached), remove and destroy the stickers from the vehicle, complete and bring the plate surrender form, and pay one dollar. During your visit, you will receive a receipt for insurance purposes.  Please note there is no drop off service available; you must wait in line for your receipt.
If your plates are peeling, you can get a replacement set at no charge. If the plates show damage from natural use, fading, chips or crash damage, you must pay to replace them. If you wish to keep your same number, you will be charged a $20 fee and must contact the NYS DMV Custom Plates Unit to conduct this transaction. For more information about peeling plates, please see the NYS DMV website.

Questions Regarding Other DMV Issues & Services

Name change must be done in our office. Please bring ID and the court marriage or divorce papers as proof of name change. There will be a fee of $12.50 to receive a new license with the updated name. There is no fee for a new registration document for a current registration, however current registration and title must be submitted.

DMV must be notified within 10 days of the move. You may do this by completing a change of address form (form MV-232) and submitting it by mail or in person with an appointment.

A motor vehicle registered in NYS must have a minimum coverage of $25,000/$50,000 for injury, $50,000/$100,000 for death, and $10,000 for property damage from any one accident. NYS is a no-fault state.

A civil penalty or suspension fee can be paid at a Saratoga County DMV office. Information about civil penalties or suspensions, is available on the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website.
Please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website for information regarding tickets, points and penalties.

To pay a civil penalty or suspension fee, please stop into one of our three convenient Saratoga County DMV locations Monday through Friday, between 8A.M. and 3:30P.M.