Commercial Driver License – CDL (Class A, B, or C)

First Time Applicant, you must:
1. Have a New York State driver license (Class D, Class E, or Non-CDL C) or a valid CDL from another state
2. Have proof of lawful status
3. Apply for a CDL Permit at a DMV office and pass the written test (See requirements under CDL Permit)
4. Have DOT medical certificate
5. Prepare for your road test and practice with a supervising driver
6. Schedule and pass the CDL road test (must complete entry-level driver training prior to taking a CDL road test)

Upon passing the Road Test:
Commercial drivers will be issued a receipt indicating you must wait one business day before visiting a DMV office to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License document. Bring this receipt and a completed MV-44 license application and your current license to your DMV appointment. Make an appointment for a “license amendment.”

For more information about getting a CDL, please visit the NYS DMV website.

CDL Renewal:
Renew Here at one of our three convenient Saratoga County DMV locations in Ballston Spa, Clifton Park or Wilton and keep your hard-earned money here working for you!

You will need to meet the requirements to renew any type of driver license AND:

  • Meet federal medical certification requirements.
    • You must indicate compliance when you answer the required questions on the MV-2CDL (included in your renewal notice).
  • Provide proof of your legal presence in the United States on DMV records.
    • Documents provided must be original; photocopies are not accepted.
    • Documents submitted as proof of residence must have your current residence address on it (P.O. Box NOT permitted).
    • If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you will only need to provide this proof on the first (original, amendment, reciprocity or renewal) application on or after June 18, 2015. We will retain the proof on your driving record.
    • If you are temporary visitor, you will need to provide proof of legal presence in the U.S. with every application. The expiration date of your legal status in the United States will be when your document will expire.

Non-excepted Interstate or Non-excepted Intrastate

If you indicate the driving types NI (Non-excepted Interstate) or NA (Non-excepted Intrastate) on your renewal, you must provide a legible copy of your current USDOT Medical Examiner’s Certificate to DMV if it is not already on file. Please see Federal Requirements for Commercial Driver License (CDL) Applicants (MV-44.5) to help you determine your driving type.

Per federal regulations, the DMV will check for any open suspensions or revocations you may have in any state.  If you have an open suspension or revocation, we will reject your application. An applicant’s current CDL document will be voided and returned when issuing a new CDL document.

Read the explanation of Driver License Classes, Endorsements, and Restrictions.

For more information about renewing a CDL, please visit the NYS DMV website.