Commercial Learner Permit – CLP (Class A, B, or C)
First Time Applicant:
To get a CDL for the first time, choose “CDL Test” when booking your appointment.
When you apply for your original CDL (Class A, B or C), you are required to:
- Have a New York State driver license (Class D, Class E, or Non-CDL C) or a valid CDL from another state
- Meet the Federal medical examination requirements
- Prove your legal presence in the United States
- Prove your legal residency (proof of current address)
- Certify that you did not hold a driver license in any state or in the District of Columbia except New York in the last 10 years; if you have you must report every US state (or the District of Columbia) where you held a driver license in the last 10 years.
- Pass the written commercial learner permit test for the CDL that you need. There is an application fee of $10.00 and includes both knowledge and endorsement test if taken at the same time. Tests not taken and passed at time of initial application will require additional fees.
- Pay the $40.00 fee to take the CDL road test (skills test). This must be paid before scheduling your road test and may be paid at your local DMV office upon issuance of your commercial learner permit.
- Complete entry-level driver training course
Important: New York State offers three types of licenses: Standard, REAL ID and Enhanced. You must meet the criteria for and provide proofs of identification and residency as required for the license type you wish to receive. Please see each license type above for more information about proofs and requirements for each.
Please Note: The supervising driver must have a driver license that is valid to drive the commercial motor vehicle that you use for practice.
For resources and more information about how to get a CDL:
• Visit the NYS DMV website.
• Download this list of steps to get a CDL.
For vehicle class descriptions, endorsements and restriction codes click here.
Commercial License Permit Renewal:
Renew Here at one of our three convenient Saratoga County DMV locations in Ballston Spa, Clifton Park or Wilton and keep your hard-earned money here working for you!
CLPs will be valid for only 180 days with one renewal for an additional 180 days, after which the holder will have to apply for a new CLP, including retaking any required knowledge tests. An applicant’s current CLP document will be voided and returned when issuing a new CLP document.