Learner Permit (Class D or DJ)
To get a learner permit, you must:
- Be 16 years or older
- Apply in person at a DMV office or online
- Under 18 years old: must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during your office visit
To take the Online Permit Test:
- To begin your permit application online, please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website and follow the directions to apply online.
- After you’ve passed the test and uploaded your proofs, you may make an appointment with Saratoga County DMV to complete your permit application in one of our offices.
To take the Permit Test in an Office:
IMPORTANT: You must bring original proofs or certified copies to the office for both online tests and in-office tests.
When you Visit an Office, Bring with you Original or Certified Copies:
- Proof of age
- Proof of residence
- Proof of identification
- You must pass both the written and vision test to receive a learner permit.
- The total fee will include a $10 application fee, a $12.50 document processing fee, and a license fee; the total will not exceed $120.
For more information about getting a learner permit, please visit the NYS DMV website.
Renew Here at one of our three convenient Saratoga County DMV locations in Ballston Spa, Clifton Park or Wilton and keep your hard-earned money here working for you!
To Renew your Permit, Bring with You:
- Completed MV-44 Form
- Expired Permit or Proof of Name
The written and vision test must be completed once more prior to receiving your new permit. If the written exam was passed within 2 years, it may be waived.
Expired Permits: If your permit has expired AFTER 2 years, please see the instructions above for first time applicants.
For more information about learner permits, please visit the NYS DMV website.