Proofs Needed for a License/Permit/Non-Driver ID

The documents listed below are a small sampling of accepted proofs. Please see NYS DMV form ID-44 for a full list of acceptable proofs.

  • Proof of Identity 
    • Current driver license,
    • U.S. government issued birth certificate or
    • U.S. Passport with your full name (must be original)
  • Proof of Date of Birth
    • U.S. government issued birth certificate
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship
    • U.S. government issued birth certificate or
    • Certificate of Naturalization (must be original)
  • Proof of Social Security Number
    • Social Security Card or
    • NYS Income Tax W-2 with full SSN OR 1099 (only if current NYS resident)
  • Proof of NY State Residency
    • Two separate proofs required, i.e. U.S. utility bill, U.S. pay stub
  • Proof of Name Change, if applicable
    • Government-issued marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s) or court order document(s). If your name has changed more than once, you must bring multiple documents that link all names.